1.5 – 2 lb calabash/bottle gourd
125g milk powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 ½ tbsp custard powder
1 can evaporated milk (410g)
1 can cooking cream (155g)
25 almonds, sliced
- Peel and grate the calabash, not the seeds.
- Boil the grated calabash with half cup of water on medium-low fire.
- At the same time, whisk the milk powder with 2 cups of water and boil on low fire. Melt the custard in ¼ cup of cold water, add it to the heated milk along with sugar and vanilla essence. Let boil while always stirring.
- Add the boiling calabash to the milk mixture – pushing the fire to medium-low. Keep stirring.
- After 3-4 minutes, add the evaporated milk to the mixture and let boil for 10-13 minutes. Taste the sugar and put some more if required.
- Add the cooking cream, sliced almond and mix well. Switch off fire.
- Pour mixture in several small bowls or one large pan and refrigerate until to be served. I sprinkled sliced almonds over the mixture in each bowl as deco.