2 medium or large chayotes
1 medium or large potato
1 medium carrot
1 medium onion, finely sliced
1 chicken stock/bouillon cube or veggie cube
5-6 curry leaves
2 tbsp thym leaves
1½ tsp curry masala powder
½ red chili powder
2-3 tbsp chopped coriander
- Peel chayotes, potato and carrot, cut them in large wedges and then in 1-inch pieces.
- Heat a table spoon of oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high fire. Add sliced onion and curry leaves – let cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the cut chayotes, potato and carrot in the pan, stir. In the meantime, melt chicken stock cube in 2 cups of water then add to the veggies. (Veggie cube can be used for vegetarians) Add thym and let cook covered for around 10 minutes.
- Dissolve 1½ tsp curry masala powder along with ½ tsp of red chili powder in half cup of water. Add the mixture to the pan, stir and continue cooking semi-covered for some 10 minutes more. Test a piece of potato and chayote each 3 minutes.
- I like the veggies very soft, so I let them cook longer – adding some more water. Else switch off fire when the preferred texture is reached. Check the salt and add more if required. However, stock cubes are usually salty.
- Sprinkle coriander and cover again until being served. It can be eaten with other curries, farata, rice, bread, lentils or on its on as a salad.