2 chicken thighs cut in half, skin removed
1 big onion, coarsely sliced
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp grounded black pepper
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 big green chilli, finely chopped paste
2 dried red chillies, cut in half
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp yogurt
2 tsp vegetable oil
¼ cup cooking cream + 3 tbsp coconut powder (or half cup coconut milk)
½ cup coriander, finely chopped
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp fenugreek
1 big potato, peeled and cut in large cubes
Garnishing: chopped coriander
- Drain washed chicken. Place it along with 2 tsp of salt, turmeric powder, yogurt and pepper in a bowl. Mix well and let marinate for 40 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Forty minutes later, heat oil in a non-stick pan on low flame. Add cumin and mustard seeds – fry for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilli. Stir for another minute before adding the dried chillies. Thirty seconds later, throw in the chicken with all its sauce and the chopped coriander. Cook 5 minutes on medium fire then add the onion, lemon juice, potato and 1 ½ cup of water. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Then, add the cream-coconut mixture or the coconut milk. Reduce the flame and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Switch off fire and sprinkle the coriander. Serve hot with white rice, farata or bread.