1 ½ cups basmati rice
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup peanuts, roasted
1 big red onion, finely sliced
¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
¼ cup coriander, chopped
4 small red chillies, chopped
4 cinnamon of ½ inch each
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
4 tbsp oil
- Put rice to cook normally – soft enough to eat. Drain excess water, if any. I spread the rice on a plate and put in fridge so that the grains don’t stick together until the time I will be using it.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan on medium fire, add the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and cumin seeds. Brown for 2 minutes.
- Add the onions, chillies and peanuts – cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste – cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the peas – cook for 3 minutes more or a bit more. Check the peas, they should not be too soft and mushy.
- Add the mint, cumin powder and 1 tsp of salt – cook for 2 minutes.
- Add ¾ of the coriander. Cook for 15 seconds and switch off fire.
- Add the rice to the mixture, mix well and sprinkle the rest of the coriander.
Serving suggestion: This rice can be used as an accompaniment to many things like grilled meat or vegetarian curry etc. It can also be eaten on its own with a chutney or salad but then add some more salt to the rice.