It was rainy. I was hungry. But I felt lazy.
I thought, why not a one-pot kinda sweet thing, which is yummy and doesn’t require much energy from me. Yeah yeah.. there are nights when I feel soooooooooooo lazy! I googled recipes which can be made with left over bread. I know, I’ve got lots of em! I had frozen bread slices. I used that for this recipe, after letting them defrost of course!
Though I looked for a normal and easy bread pudding recipe, my personal touch in it is the custard part. I thought, custard always tastes great. Why not add some?! o.O
- 4 eggs
- 1 litre cold liquid milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 6 cups white bread cut in cubes
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- Dark chocolate cut in cubes (around half cup)
- Preheat oven at 150 degrees.
- Dry the bread cubes: Spread the bread cubes on a baking pan, bake for around 8-10 minutes. I used a pizza pan with holes, so I didn’t have to stir. If your pan is a normal one, then stir the bread after 5 minutes. When done, remove and keep aside.
- Increase the heat to 180 degrees. In a large bowl, combine eggs, 3 cups of milk, sugar and vanilla. Stir in bread cubes until moistened.
- Meanwhile, u can grease a baking dish with the butter. I used a loaf dish.
- Whisk the custard powder with the remain 1 cup milk.
- Transfer half of the bread mixture to the prepared baking dish. Pour over half of the custard-milk mixture. Place half of the cubed dark chocolate randomly. Then, repeat! That is, the rest of bread mixture, followed by custard-milk then dark chocolate.
- Bake uncovered for 60 minutes. Test with a knife, if it comes out clean – it’s ready!
- Let cool 5 minutes before removing from dish. It comes off easily. Serve warm 🙂
The result was a m a z i n g !
Adding custard made it damn creamy ^_^ Ramadan is coming soon. I’m gonna make and remake and re-remake this! ❤