There is a long story behind the reason as to why I cooked this Beef Pulao. I know a Pakistani guy, who became a good friend in a few days. He is an amazing guitarist as well! While talking, he mentioned about this menu being one of his fav once. I asked him to send me a link to the recipe as sometimes recipes are changed. I wanted to cook the way he used to eat. Well, he didn’t. I faked a fight. He said he didn’t wanna talk to me, he was faking as well. While both were faking, I got engrossed in other urgent matters. His ego was waiting for me to message first. Three days went by. I pinged him asking whether he blocked me already. He laughed and said no, he was just waiting… I decided to look for a recipe myself, though I dunno if this is THE recipe. I found one on SooperChef.pk, but it was quite confusing. I made it my way. So, here it is, my Beef Pakistani Pulao’s recipe:
List A: Ingredients for beef stock
500g beef cut in 7-8cm large pieces
2 tsp black pepper powder
4 cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
3 tsp coriander powder
5 star anise
2L boiling water
7 garlic cloves
1 onion, sliced
Salt to taste – I used around 2 tsp
List B: Ingredients for beef pulao
3 cups of rice, soaked for 30 minutes
5 tbsp cooking oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
3 medium-size green chilies, chopped
1/3 cup tamarind, seeds removed
4 tsp whole cumin
3 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
3 cups beef stock (from above preparation)
2 tbsp butter ghee
Salt to Taste – I used around 2 tsp (I use less salt in my foods)
Steps for beef stock
- Throw all the ingredients in List A in a heavy pan, cover and let cook on medium fire for 50-60 minutes.
- After an hour, the beef must be 80-90% cooked. Remove the beef pieces and set aside. Strain the stock in a strainer or sieve and keep the water (beef stock) aside.
Steps for beef pulao
- In a cooking pot on medium-high heat, add from the List B: cooking oil, onion, chili, onion, tamarind and cook until golden brown. Add in the ginger-garlic paste, cook for a minute.
- Add the cooked beef, yogurt, cumin, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Strain the soaked rice, place it evenly on top of the beef in the pot, add 3 cups of beef stock, cover and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, drop the butter ghee on top, cover back, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes – more or less.
- Check that all the water dried out at the bottom and the bottom shouldn’t be burnt. I let it sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- Before serving, mix the rice with the meat so that the spices spread through. I ate the beef pulao with tomato salad and fresh coriander sprinkled on top. Just yummy!