At the start of confinement in Mauritius (April), I went to buy lentils and I was angry that there was no black lentils, I took red ones, though never cooked it before. Asked mom and she said to cook them same as black ones. I had made black lentils before: Mauritian Lentils Soup. So, here’s how I made these ones, would be kinda similar:
- 3 tbsp oil
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes or canned peeled ones
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 cups of lentils
- Fried onions
- In pressure cooker, heat oil, add curry leaves (cari poulé). After 30 secs, add tomatoes, thyme, 2 tsp of salt, ginger-garlic paste and cook for like 3-4 mins. If you are using fresh tomatoes, then add half cup of water. I used canned ones.
- Wash the lentils and add that with 4 cups of water to the pressure cooker. Cover and let cook on medium-low heat for some 15-20 minutes (3 whistles). Open and check whether they are cooked. Add more water and let boil uncovered for some more minutes if it’s too thick. Taste salt.
- I let it cook for an additional 3 minutes on higher heat by adding half cup of water. I add fried onions at the same time. Switch off fire and garnish with coriander.
I made lentils, mom made touffé brede mooroom (sauteed moringa) and we had that with sardine salad.